Sunday, October 14, 2012

My Musician side, to begin with.

Musician:


     I started playing guitar when I was in the 5th grade. I was just intrigued by that night when my dad brought an acoustic guitar home, but it was for mom. It was black and very light to carry. Days after that night, I noticed that my mom wasn't using it that much so I borrowed it and tried to learn playing it. I tried knowing the chords one by one, but when I asked my parents to teach me, the only one I learned was the G chord. From there, I thought they were too busy to teach me further so I kinda went on by myself. 

     I spent my time on the guitar after my afternoon classes until I knew a little bit more and had quite progress. The first song I learned to play was 'Hawak Kamay' by Yeng Constantino, using a song book. It had the basic chord set G-Em-D-C so I was able to work around it.
It didn't take long for me to have my own acoustic guitar. It was green, having a pick-up and was a bit heavier than my mother's.

     I continued studying it on my own and learned more songs until I was in high school. When I was in my 1st year, there was the 'Battle of the Bands' contest for the theme of the Nutrition Month event. My guy classmates in the first section signed up and got me as their rhythm guitarist, along with another guy named Leomar. The band was named Impulse, having two rhythm guitarists, one on the lead, a drummer, and two female vocalists. The vocalists and the drummer may have blown the performance, the seniors that time said that the guitarists were perfect. Impulse performed a song we composed with another classmate of ours who's not in the band. The song was about eating healthy and stuff. You may say it's lame, but we performed it to the tune of 'Your Guardian Angel' by Red Jumpsuit Apparatus.

     The band was a one-shot deal, and we never played again. Doesn't hurt, but those guys are pissing me off with that memory, they always make it look like I was the only one who wanted to join, and that I played bad but I know I didn't though we didn't win against seniors.

     I remember that guy named Cholo, who kinda broke both of the guitars we have. He accidentally removed the first string of my mom's guitar when I brought it to school. I think he was showing off, using power chords, strumming hard, and all to be able to remove that string. I'd be able to understand that back then if he apologized for doing so, but instead of doing that, he just put the guitar back to its case and didn't plan on telling me about it. But I caught him putting it back and I saw the broken string hanging out of the case while the guitar was not fully in its case. On our second year in high school, he was my classmate in the first section again, and during our school's intramurals, he used my guitar (the green one, the one that's really mine), without asking permission and he mocked me when I told him that he should have asked me to use it. I could not do anything more so I let him play, but what I couldn't take the most was when he was done playing, he lay it on a mono-bloc chair and it slipped down to the cement. I just saw my guitar lying on the side of the cement, with that large crack between the end of the fret board and the machine head. He didn't tell me that it happened and that it was his fault, and after years, he could not even have that humility borrowing my mom's guitar again. I'm glad we don't go to the same college now, but I see him frequently, either around Mapua, beside my school, or in SM Manila. Whenever I see him, he really gets on my nerves, giving me that urge to just strangle him right then and there.

     This guitar in the picture, is the graduation gift given to me by my parents for the 4 years of high school I survived without getting any grades on my card on any subject in the line of 7. I named this baby Nathan. I chose that name because I read an e-book with Nathan as the brother of the leading lady in the story, with his lines in blue, and my electric guitar was dark blue, same shade as the text color used in Nathan oppa's dialogues.

     My mom's guitar, now I suppose it is mine already, since she doesn't use it anymore, I named Amads, after that guy in my organization who resembles my guy friend.
Only this for now, quite long, I know, I'm sorry. but this is the start of my uhmmm ...musicianhood? Haha, I now consider this a term referring to the 'musician part of one's life' . :D

Good Night. ^_^

No comments:

Post a Comment